What to Do after a Car Accident
Seasoned Advice from Atlanta Car Accident Attorneys
If you were involved in a car accident, there are a few important steps you can take to help ensure that you and other drivers are kept safe. Following these important steps can also provide you an advantage should you pursue legal action against the person who caused your injuries. If you or a loved one is injured in a car accident, you should always work with an experienced attorney.
At Ross & Pines, we are committed to providing our clients with outstanding representation and will work diligently to provide you with the compensation that you deserve. Our Atlanta personal injury attorneys have a combined 100 years of legal experience between them. If you are in need of legal counsel, do not hesitate to work with our team.
After an accident, follow these simple steps:
- Check for injuries and call 911 if anyone requires immediate medical attention. Do not try to move anyone who has been hurt; wait for medical staff to arrive.
- Check for damage to the vehicles when it is safe to do so. If possible, move your car to the side of the road away from other traffic. However, before you move your car, take pictures and video of the scene. Turn on emergency lights and stay away from other cars.
- Call the police. Filing an accident report can help you obtain concrete documentation of the accident from an official report. Make sure to get the report number from the officer.
- Never let the police officer convince you to admit that the accident was your fault. Admitting fault or negligence can only hurt you later.
- Don’t apologize. Saying "I'm sorry" is a natural reaction, but apologizing may be seen as an admission of guilt. Insurance companies will look for any reason to pin the accident on you.
- Get information. Get the names, addresses, phone numbers and any other contact information from any potential witnesses. Never rely on the police officer to get this information for you.
- Get driver information. Get the name of the driver who caused the accident and his or her address, driver's license number, and insurance information as well as information from any other people involved in the accident. Again, never rely on a police officer.
- Take pictures and/or video at the scene in a safe manner. Almost everyone carries a camera phone and it is recommended you photograph/video as much as possible.
Contact an Atlanta Personal Injury Lawyer from Ross & Pines Today
After you have received all emergency medical treatment, contact Ross & Pines to discuss the facts of your accident case in detail. Do not wait until after you have spoken to an insurance company. Insurance companies are not looking out for your best interests. Instead, they are looking to pay you as little money as possible to go away. That is why you should never discuss the extent of your injuries with the other driver's insurance company.
Injured in a car accident? Call (888) 838-4858 immediately to schedule a free case evaluation with our experienced team of Atlanta car accident attorneys.